Sunday, October 13, 2013

Your Words Have Power

In the Literature class I teach, I try to engage the students, in discussions about what happens in the stories we read, in ways which will challenge them and which will help them to engage in critical thinking.  I ask the students why characters in stories do what they do.  I ask them to explain characters' motivations.  I ask them to support their opinions with examples from the text.

At one point, as a way of both trying to encourage them, to inspire them, and to help explain to them why they need to cite instances in the story to substantiate their viewpoints, as an analogy I referenced how lawyers persuasively support their own cases.  A few days earlier, I had told them that I had been an attorney, so I reminded them that I used to be a lawyer.  I explained to them that in court, attorneys tell the judge how the attorneys think the case should turn out.  I told them that judges then say to lawyers, "Counsel, where's your evidence?"  I next said that just as judges ask lawyers where their evidence is, so too would I be asking them where their evidence is for believing why characters act the way they do.  During that same explication, I expressed to them a long-term view of them I hold.  I shared with them how I honestly believe that some of them truly are capable of becoming lawyers one day. 

A few weeks later, I was talking with an older sibling of one of my Literature students.  She told me that all of a sudden, her younger sister has started saying that she's going to become a lawyer!  I asked her when her younger sister started saying that she's going to be a lawyer.  She said that her younger sister started saying so within the last month, which meant since school has started.  Perhaps at least one student has been listening while I've been teaching... 

No comments:

Post a Comment